Sunday, February 24, 2008

Not Forgotten But Gone For Now ...

I’ll be back after a bit. My editor rejected this column saying he wanted me to stick around. So, I will but will be out a few weeks. E-mail me at WinHamby@gmail.com


*****************************************************************


Wow, what a trip. Every mile has been most enjoyable for me and I trust, for you. And I want to say “thank you” for your e-mails, snail mail and phone calls. What a joy it has been to share my early Beaumont/Jefferson County memories with you.

Mr. Thomas Taschinger, Opinions editor has been terrific granting me the column space to share with you. Thank you Tom. Also, a big thank you to Julian Galiano, who designed my area as well as the page. Look down to the fine print in the center of the Opinions page and you will see his name. Julian, thank you for keeping my sentences from running off the sides of the pages.

In September of 2004, my daughter Deana Nall said, “Dad, you’re such a story teller. You should send some to the Enterprise.” Finally, I took her advice and sent Mr. Taschinger my story of working at the Jefferson Theater. Tom liked my homespun style and asked me for more stories. So for more than three years, you have seen these stories showing up, at first on Wednesdays, later changed to Saturdays.

The editors have been wonderful to me. Out of some 200 columns, I have had only three rejects. A reject is when a column is not accepted for print for one reason or another.

My first reject had to do with Hoop Snakes. It was a pile of baloney and imagination. Mr. Taschinger politely infomed me that Hoop Snakes was not up to my standard. And he was so right.

My second reject was on politics and was a campaign speech that I wrote had I been a politician. My platform was, “If elected, I promise to take office.” Tom told me that perhaps the timing was too heated for such a topic. You know, I respected that
decision.

The only sneaky one I ever pulled on Mr. Taschinger was when he rejected my column on “sense of humor.” Two years later, I changed the name on it and resubmitted. He printed it without hesitation.

However, that column was not without comment from a reader. Retired Lamar University Professor David G. Taylor wrote and said, “Winston, don’t ever give up your day job for a career in humor.” That note rolled me on the floor. Professor Taylor and so many of you have been such great encouragement.

My wife, Mardell was my strongest critic. She was tougher than the editors. She did not like my term, “Pipkin Street Gang.” However, in the old days a gang was simply a group of neighborhood kids who were friends and never did worse than throw mud at passing cars. I thank her for her patience and understanding.

Dear readers. You have been great. Growing up in Beaumont and knowing so much about many of you have provided me with a fantastic file of memories in my head. I want to thank you. Without you I would have no stories to tell.

Always remember and never forget. Your actions from day to day result in your life. And your life is a lifetime of memories.

I would not trade my childhood for anything. I thank my parents and even my big sister. Thank you teachers for caring. And thank you, Church, for instilling the meanings of life here and later.

600 words is not a lot of space to cover much information so as beloved comedian, Bob Hope used to say, “Thanks for the memories.”

Until we meet again may the Lord bless you and keep you.

Wow, what a trip …

Winston Hamby
Winhamby@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home